'Some parents will be disappointed' - WCED on 2020 school applications
Parents in the Western Cape are being urged to confirm the school their child will attend by 12 July, in order to free up spaces for unsuccessful applicants.
On Friday, parents who had applied using the Western Cape Education Department's pilot online application scheme were able to find out the status of their applications.
The system is designed to help parents enrol children early and to identify which schools have spaces available.
The department's spokesperson, Bronagh Hammond admits there have been some teething problems but says, on the whole, the system is working.
We were expecting to have some technical issues, just to test the system out.Bronagh Hammond, Communications director - Western Cape Education Department
The response that I'm getting from parents, the fact they can simply go online, they can see every school result, they're quite grateful and happy with the system.Bronagh Hammond, Communications director - Western Cape Education Department
Hammond says it's a difficult time for some families who may not get their first choice of school.
In any school around the world, you'll have a school which is more popular than the others. At some of our schools we're getting 2 000 admissions for only 150 places.Bronagh Hammond, Communications director - Western Cape Education Department
Listen to the full interview below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : 'Some parents will be disappointed' - WCED on 2020 school applications
WC Judge President John Hlope is accused, by his deputy - Judge Patricia Goliath - of having assaulted another judge, the apparent use of abusive language towards her, and alleged abuse of power.Read More
The unions say they are exploring their legal option to stop the liquidation of troubled the national airline and SA Express, following the Finance Minister's statement that there will be no more bailouts for SAA.Read More
Thousands of fans have acknowledged Twala's immense contributions to the South African television and film industry following the announcement of her passing on Saturday.Read More
This comes after law enforcement officers this week demolished four structures because they were illegally erected on city-owned land in the area.Read More
Earlier this week, the Basic Education Department revised its decision allow almost six million pupils back to class from Monday, saying only some grades will be permitted on school grounds.Read More
Two more employees have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections at the entity to three.Read More
The icon passed away at the age of 80 on Saturday.Read More
Saturday marked the 100th day of lockdown for South Africa, which has imposed some of the strictest stay-at-home measures in the world since March 27 in a bid to limit the spread of COVID-19.Read More
Details surrounding Twala’s death are still unclear, but news of her passing was revealed by her son, Somizi Mhlongo, on Saturday.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced on Friday that there were 108 new coronavirus-related deaths.Read More