Sanef launches report of COVID impact on newsrooms
The South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) has launched its “Covid19 impact on Journalism” report.
The report has highlighted some bad outcomes due to the pandemic.
Some of the negative impact includes the closure of two magazine publishers with the loss of 97 jobs at the one publisher and up to 250 at the other, a plunge in advertising for newspapers at the Big 4 South African publishers as well as in broadcasting.
On the upside the research has noted a massive surge in traffic to credible online news sources.
Sanef deputy chairperson Katy Katopodis says many journalists and freelancers have been severely impacted.
We have seen people having to cut staff, also having to cut salaries.Katy Katopodis, Deputy chairperson - Sanef
On the other side of this is we have seen an absolute spike in the number of people who are consuming news from credible media sources so most of mainstream media houses in South Africa have seen a real increase in their numbers.Katy Katopodis, Deputy chairperson - Sanef
We hope and pray that we do survive this. In fact, in the last few minutes, the suggestion of an emergency relief fund for journalists has just been tabled and the suggestion is particularly for journalists who are freelancers and for media houses who don't have enormous financial backing and who are very small, then this will certainly come into effect.Katy Katopodis, Deputy chairperson - Sanef
I am hoping we will be able to get out of the COVID-19 difficulties with a media industry that is still very much intact even though we have been battered and bruised like the rest of the country and the world for that matter.Katy Katopodis, Deputy chairperson - Sanef
Click here to access the full report
Click on the link below to hear more...
This comes after law enforcement officers this week demolished four structures because they were illegally erected on city-owned land in the area.Read More
Earlier this week, the Basic Education Department revised its decision allow almost six million pupils back to class from Monday, saying only some grades will be permitted on school grounds.Read More
Two more employees have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections at the entity to three.Read More
The icon passed away at the age of 80 on Saturday.Read More
Saturday marked the 100th day of lockdown for South Africa, which has imposed some of the strictest stay-at-home measures in the world since March 27 in a bid to limit the spread of COVID-19.Read More
Details surrounding Twala’s death are still unclear, but news of her passing was revealed by her son, Somizi Mhlongo, on Saturday.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced on Friday that there were 108 new coronavirus-related deaths.Read More
The move reverses what was known as an upward referral policy introduced during the tenure of former COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng.Read More
Nickolaus Bauer speaks to Independent Counselling and Advisory Services (ICAS) Southern Africa MD Andrew Davies.Read More
Labour and Employment Minister Thulas Nxesi said that the UIF had been able to identify 75 cases of suspicious transactions.Read More