Only grades R, 6 and 11 to return to school on Monday - Basic Education Dept
JOHANNESBURG - The Basic Education Department said that it had revised its decision to allow almost 6 million pupils back to school from next week because of the rising number of COVID-19 infections in the country.
The department said that only grades R, 6 and 11 would be permitted back in class following consultations with the Council of Education Ministers.
The move affects schools across the country.
DECISION from CEM: pic.twitter.com/wwBLAqtXK2— Dep. Basic Education (@DBE_SA) July 2, 2020
The Basic Education Department said that it could not ignore South Africa's worsening COVID-19 pandemic.
Ministerial spokesperson Mpho Mokgatlhe: "We realise that there are other provinces that are not ready and other districts and schools."
The initial decision was going to allow pupils in grades 1 to 3, as well as those in grades 6, 10, and 11 back in class.
Mokgatle said that government was always reviewing its plans.
"There is no way that we can ignore the fact that infections are rising rapidly, more than expected, therefore we also need to reconsider our situation as a factor."
The department's spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga said that the decision to allow only some pupils back to class had not been taken lightly.
"This came after a four-hour-long meeting which took place earlier this morning to consider five different reports that impacted on the work the department was doing at the moment in the context of COVID-19."
The department has conceded that the reopening of schools had not been a smooth process, with over 770 institutions forced to close their doors at some stage after registering a case of COVID-19 on school grounds.
This article first appeared on EWN : Only grades R, 6 and 11 to return to school on Monday - Basic Education Dept
Health minister says South Africans need to continue washing their hands, wearing masks and social distancing to avoid resurgence.Read More
The number of national recoveries so far is 426,125, which translates to a recovery rate of 75%. Gauteng has 150,082 recoveries.Read More
Avbob general manager Pieter van der Westhuizen says have hired more people and converted shipping containers to cold rooms.Read More
The former Cabinet minister, during his testimony on Tuesday at the state capture inquiry, accused the former Public Protector of making findings against him without giving him an opportunity to answer.Read More
De Ruyter briefed the Cape Town Press Club on Tuesday on the parastatal’s turnaround strategy.Read More
Matakanye Matakanya says despite directives from the department of education there are still questions that need answers.Read More
Court rules the findings against suspended ANC Limpopo treasurer Daniel Msiza in the VBS scandal unconstitutional.Read More
Jacob Mamabolo says the province is likely to experience a spike in COVID-19 cases between end of August and early September.Read More
University of Pretoria vice-chancellor Tawana Kupe shares what universities are doing to contribute to the fight against COVID-19.Read More
Media industry colleagues and callers pay tribute to the late legendary radio and television broadcaster Bob Mabena.Read More