SAHRC to take City of Cape Town to court after man forcefully dragged from shack
The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) is taking legal action against the City of Cape Town following the forced removal of a man from a shack about to be demolished in eThembeni, near Empolweni in Khayelitsha on Wednesday.
In a video shared widely, law enforcement officers were seen dragging a naked Bulelani Qholani from his home.
SAHRC commissioner Chris Nissen says they have assessed the case.
Obviously Mr Bulelani's dignity has been completely violated and in that sense, the Equality Court is the area where we will be taking this case to.Chris Nissen, SAHRC commissioner
The third area we want to go is to engage the city that they are violating the COVID-19 disaster management act regulations in terms of - whilst you can get a court order, you must wait till after the lockdown, to act on it.Chris Nissen, SAHRC commissioner
Click on the link below to hear the full interview...
Spokesperson Kwara Kekana says the situation is unfortunate and no one should go through such trauma.Read More
Callers to The Clement Manyathela Show express their disapproval and question how the committee will fight COVID-19 corruption.Read More
Number of national recoveries so far is 387,316, which translates to a 72% recovery rate. There were 36,616 new tests conducted.Read More
Justin Chadwick (Citrus Growers' Association) says it's all thanks to the perceived immune-boosting attraction of Vitamin C.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More
They have put signs for the public, family members and friends of the patients who are unreachable inside the COVID-19 wards.Read More
The minister said the inter-ministerial committee, appointed by President Cyril Ramaphosa, was an entity with teeth that would act against those found to be looting from COVID-19 related projects.Read More
News24 reporter James Villiers finds it interesting that Federal Council chairperson has not tweeted since her tweet in June.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mlhize lauds provincial authorities and is confident that they will manage the increase in infections.Read More