Pupils will not be deregistered if they don't return to school - Panyaza Lesufi
Over 2 million grade R, 6 and 11 pupils will return to the classrooms on Monday after almost four months at home.
Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga on Sunday briefed the nation on the state of readiness of schools ahead of a further reopening of the sector during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Motshekga said provinces that are not ready to receive grade R pupils on Monday must present strategic plans for their return by the end of July.
Bongani Bingwa chats to Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi on the state of readiness in the province.
Gauteng has taken a different approach, if families feel that their children cant go back to school, we have given them the opportunity for home education. Those that want their children to come back, we have strengthened the strict protocols within our schools. We have given support to every family to choose the best outcome that will suit their children.Panyaza Lesufi, MEC - Gauteng Education
He says there will be teething problems between now and until everything is in order, he says.
If we cant get the teaching staff in order, some of the services that we are offering can't be rendered. The law has been amended. If your child is not back at school, they will not be deregistered, they will have space next year. But we encourage parents to choose other options that ensures that their children continue learning.Panyaza Lesufi, MEC - Gauteng Education
Listen below to the full conversation:
Busisiwe Mkhewane's office also said 450 people have approached the chapter 9 institution, complaining that they were unfairly denied the monthly R350 special social relief grant.Read More
SA has 511,485 confirmed coronavirus cases with 8,366 fatalities. Callers to The Clement Manyathela Show raise concerns.Read More
The commissioner reflects on the new modernisation programmes put in place this tax season at the revenue services.Read More
The number of national recoveries so far is 347,227, which translates to a recovery rate of 68% with 3.036,779 tests conducted.Read More
Addressing the 99th anniversary of the SACP on Sunday afternoon, its leader Blade Nzimande said the abuse of funds sets aspirations of the alliance to better the lives of many South Africans back.Read More
Masuku, his wife Loyiso and presidential spokesperson, Khusela Diko and her husband, have been linked to a multimillion tender, which has raised questions.Read More
The last few weeks have seen numerous allegations of corruption leveled against senior party members.Read More
The department has revealed that the 2020 school year will be completed on 15 December.Read More
This after Mamabolo threatened 'Sunday World' journalist Ngwako Malatji.Read More
Minister Masondo defended his actions to the ANC’s integrity commission on Friday after it recommended that he step down from both his positions in government and within the party.Read More