George Mukhari Hospital CEO says he learnt about alleged rape from media
The South African Police Service (Saps) is investigating allegations that a two-year-old girl has been raped while in isolation at Dr George Mukhari Academic Hospital.
The child was allegedly attacked at the hospital last month and the crime was reported to police last week.
Both the police and hospital are now investigating.
Speaking to Bongani Bingwa the chief operating officer at the hospital Dr Richard Lebethe says this matter being investigated by the police and the hospital not much details can be given.
I heard about the allegations last week during a media inquiry that relates to the incidence. After hearing about what allegedly happened I got in touch with the family and have been in contact with the baby's aunt.Dr Richard Lebethe, CEO - Dr George Mukhari Academic Hospital
He says there must have been a break in communication as he only heard about the alleged rape from the media.
When the family found out what happened they went to a clinic, which referred them to the hospital and they landed in casualty and unfortunately the message was never passed over to me nor to any other management.Dr Richard Lebethe, CEO - Dr George Mukhari Academic Hospital
The hospital had the responsibility to take care of the child once the mother was discharged, he says.
The safety of the hospital is important, and it is disturbing that this place that is suppose tho keep people safe, is the one that is currently being associated with this incidence.Dr Richard Lebethe, CEO - Dr George Mukhari Academic Hospital
Listen below to the full conversation:
News24 parliamentary reporter Jan Gerber reflects on the court case between Busisiwe Mkhwebane and the National Assembly.Read More
Since it launched in May, the scheme's helped only 6.6% of businesses it targets. Will recent changes lead to improvement?Read More
The Money Show's Bruce Whitfield interviews Eskom's Linda Mateza about the once-off payment to its pensioners.Read More
Lungisa Fuzile (former National Treasury DG) tore into former minister Des van Rooyen's performance and choice of advisers.Read More
The former Cabinet minister, during his testimony on Tuesday at the state capture inquiry, accused the former Public Protector of making findings against him without giving him an opportunity to answer.Read More
EWN reporter Nthakoana Ngatane gives an update on what is happening at the state capture commission.Read More
Zimbabwe government spokesman Nick Mangwana denies that there are human rights violations happening in that country.Read More
In his "From The Desk of the President" column, Cyril Ramaphosa unpacks a number of commitments made under Generation Equality.Read More
Former president Jacob Zuma said on his official Twitter account that he “unconditionally withdraws” the allegation.Read More
The president said in his Women's Day speech there are efforts to give women access to productive assets such as land.Read More