Prof Jonathan Jansen urges Minister Angie Motshekga to cancel academic year
Professor Jonathan Jansen has written an open letter to Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga suggesting that she 'declare the normal school year over' in light of COVID-19 pandemic.
Jansen joined Joanne Joseph on the Afternoon Drive to elaborate.
This is extremely dangerous and of course we have seen the consequences. It is a really bad situation especially when we don't know enough about the virus and how it might affect younger people.Professor Jonathan Jansen
By the times grade 5 and 8 come back at the end of August it will be September ... by that time your [teacher's] mind is on exams, your mind is not on covering the curriculum.Professor Jonathan Jansen
We mustn't be selfish here and reduce this debate to the likelihood of infection of children, everybody is affected in that space and I think we will simply be able to make up for lost time if we are simply sensible.Professor Jonathan Jansen
We don't risk reopening when 'as you have seen in Gauteng' the Western Cape and Eastern Cape, the numbers are growing out of control.Professor Jonathan Jansen
We are going to pay a heavy multi-generational cost if we are blind to the reality that we are not going to cover the curriculum but at the same time cause enormous emotional damage to our people.Professor Jonathan Jansen
Click on the link below to hear the full conversation....
The cumulative number of confirmed cases is 559,585. There were 6,670 new infections and the total number of deaths is 10,408.Read More
PayGas CEO Philippe Hoeblich says it is ideal to operate from petrol filling stations as they are within a walking distance.Read More
Given the national lockdown restrictions on public gatherings, this year’s national day has been televised and celebrated virtually with president Ramaphosa delivering his address remotely.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
Today marks 64 years since the heroic 1956 Women’s March to the Union Buildings against draconian pass laws and their impact on women.Read More
According to a statement from his family, the 91-year-old veteran politician is currently self-isolating at home and remains asymptomatic.Read More
National Consumer Commission director of prosecutions Joseph Selolo says you can't be naive or claim to be duped.Read More
Baroka and Bloem Celtic will be part of South African football history when they play the first professional game of football in the country since the COVID-19 lockdown began.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More