Kubayi-Ngubane hopeful that eased lockdown regulations will help tourism sector
The tourism industry is battling to survive with businesses in distress and millions of jobs on the line as the impact of COVID-19 continues to ravage the economy.
Tourism Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane on Thursday said that she had hoped that the R200 million loan guarantee scheme would assist qualifying businesses who had not received financial help.
The R200 million that the industry had received to help keep the sector afloat ran out after only providing relief to about 60% of applicants, she added.
In response to that the government has eased regulations and extended the curfew to 10pm to accommodate the battling restaurant industry.
Kubayi-Ngubane joins Bongani Bingwa to discuss the tourism industry.
We could only give 4000 companies which received the relief fund, we had more companies that applied. What worries me is that there were companies who qualified but couldn't be supported because the money has run out.Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane, Minister - Tourism
She says because the money had run out, the department is pushing for the opening of the sector.
We can't be blind to the fact that we have a pandemic in our hands and while we are doing our best to be able to give life to the sector, we need to balance that to lives and livelihoods.Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane, Minister - Tourism
She says the easing of lockdown regulations will go a long way in assisting the sector during this time.
Inter-provincial travel for leisure will go a long way; safaris being able to operate will go a long way. The extension of the curfew so that restaurants can serve dinner even without alcohol will go a long way.Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane, Minister - Tourism
Listen below to the full conversation:
Former president Jacob Zuma said on his official Twitter account that he “unconditionally withdraws” the allegation.Read More
The president said in his Women's Day speech there are efforts to give women access to productive assets such as land.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More
According to the Presidency, John Nkadimeng passed away on 6 August 2020 at the age of 93.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More
The minister said the inter-ministerial committee, appointed by President Cyril Ramaphosa, was an entity with teeth that would act against those found to be looting from COVID-19 related projects.Read More