Aubrey Masango 1500 x 1500 2020 Aubrey Masango 1500 x 1500 2020
The Aubrey Masango Show

The Aubrey Masango Show

'Whatever you are passionate about make a success of it' Absa exec Punki Modise

24 September 2020 12:17 PM
ABSA Bank

When banking was declared an essential service, for her that really cut deep, making her realise they help with the economy.

Absa Retail and Business Banking chief financial officer Punki Modise comes from humble beginnings. She grew up in Soweto with her four siblings who were raised by a single mother and grandmother.

Modise says she never saw herself working in a bank when she was young but her late sister realised she had an eye for business when she was doing standard five and selling coloured popcorns to her peers to help her family make ends meet.

Banking in my mind gives one a window to the economy and also affords the opportunity to actively participate and make a difference to the broader society.

Punki Modise, Chief Financial Officer- Absa Retail and Business Banking organization

I ultimately got interested in banking through my late sister who realised when I was in standard five, I really enjoyed selling ‘skopas’ for a living just to get income for my family.

When she completed her matric she worked in a firm where she became a personal assistant and was advised to go further her studies at a university and get a commercial degree. She did and went on to receive her charted accountant degree as well.

I just fondly remember sitting in the patio with my grandmother who asked me what exactly will my degree allow me to do in the work space and I said; you know what granny this degree is ultimately going to allow me to be a bank manger and I will own all the money in the bank and for her it was a light bulb moment and she said go for it my girl.

The day I got my results and became a chartered accountant instead of becoming excited, strange enough I got a huge sense of relief. That sense of relief reassured me that the world is my oyster.

The advise I have for young people is that first of all enjoy life but at the same time you need to be focused and you need to know what you want to achieve out of life.

Life affords people so many opportunities and people should not be scared to go for those opportunities, whatever you are passionate about go for it and make a success of it.

Punki Modise, Chief financial officer - Absa Retail and Business Banking

RELATED: 'I grew up poor, but never realised it'

Modise says COVID-19 has made the banking sector become more collaborative in trying to find ways to ease the citizens anxiety. He says she in the many years she has been in the banking sector she never thought it would become an essential.

No one ever imagines a bank can be perceived or seen as an essential service.

Punki Modise, Chief financial officer - Absa Retail and Business Banking

When President Cyril Ramaphosa said banking will be an essential service, for me that really cut deep and told me the industry that you're in goes to the core and essence of what makes a society and the economy to run.

Punki Modise, Chief financial officer - Absa Retail and Business Banking

Listen below to the full conversation:

24 September 2020 12:17 PM
ABSA Bank

20182210 VBS_9.jpg

VBS liquidation: More than 5,000 'small' depositors haven't claimed their money

29 October 2020 7:37 PM

The liquidation of the disgraced VBS Mutual Bank is gaining momentum. Bruce Whitfield speaks to Denzel Bostander from Sarb.

maponya-mall-grantsjpg

Government can give SAA R10.5bn, let the caregiver grant continue - Black Sash

29 October 2020 4:35 PM

The Pretoria High Court is set to hear an urgent application against the South Africa Social Security Agency.

malema-ddlozi-image7jpg

Court sees video showing Malema’s vehicle had accreditation to enter cemetery

29 October 2020 2:13 PM

The EFF leader and the party’s PM Mbuyiseni Ndlozi were in court on Thursday for day two of their assault trial.

Car vehicle theft 123rf

Beware! Thieves use new vehicle tracker scam to steal cars

29 October 2020 1:54 PM

Tracker South Africa operational services executive Ron Knott-Craig gives advice as to how to avoid vehicle tracker scammers.

Duduzane Zuma

I have no regrets working with the Guptas - Duduzane Zuma

29 October 2020 11:52 AM

Zuma, in an interview with Newzroom Afrika on Thursday morning, said people had what he called ‘a crazy infatuation’ with his former business associates.

Felicia Mabuza Suttle

I say the dusty streets of Soweto in a loving spirit - Felicia Mabuza-Suttle

29 October 2020 11:50 AM

Felicia Mabuza-Suttle shares all about her upbringing, working in the entertainment industry dominated mostly by men from the 80s.

123rf A pile of two hundred rand notes, South African currency money

I say big ups to public sector salary freeze - Callers debate the mini budget

29 October 2020 10:50 AM

Listeners debate whether the wage bill increase being frozen in the next three years is a good or bad idea.

car-insurancejpg

What happens if you've skipped an insurance payment and you're in an accident?

28 October 2020 8:25 PM

A policy holder has an automatic 15-day grace period. Make sure you know how it works, warns consumer ninja Wendy Knowler.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-28 at 14.23.25.jpeg

REACTIONS: Analyst gives thumbs up to Mboweni's bid to get debt under control

28 October 2020 4:53 PM

Old Mutual Wealth's Izak Odendaal says the first step in solving a problem is admitting that there is one.

handcuffs-law-arrest-justice-crime-perpetrator-suspect-case-police-123rf

Top police officials among 28 arrested for firearms licensing fraud, corruption

28 October 2020 2:27 PM

Spokesperson Brigadier Vish Naidoo the police are also looking at the possibility of investigating money laundering.