Questions raised as active COVID-19 cases drop by over 27,000 in KZN
DURBAN - Health authorities in KwaZulu-Natal on Wednesday said they were beginning to see a decrease in COVID-19 infections.
According to the latest official figures, the number of active cases in the province dropped from over 93,000 on Monday to just over 66,000 cases in 24 hours.
KZN health MEC Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu has suggested the drop was because of a high number of recoveries from people who contracted the virus at the same time during the festive season.
The National Education, Health and Allied Workers' Union and the Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa have raised concerns about the accuracy of the massive decrease in active COVID-19 cases in the province - more than 27,000 to be exact.
But Simelane-Zulu said there were clear reasons for the decline.
“The issue here is that we had a big number of patients who were infected in two or three days and all of those, when they exit [recover], they will exit around the same time.”
She said she did not want to declare yet that the province had surpassed its peak of the coronavirus second wave, despite the massive decrease in active cases.
The MEC said they were still awaiting scientific advice on the whether the decrease signified a plateau or the surpassing of the peak.
This article first appeared on EWN : Questions raised as active COVID-19 cases drop by over 27,000 in KZN
KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala says his passing marks the end an incomparable era in the history of broadcasting.Read More
He said in spite of their best efforts, some linked to the governing party threw away the rule book when it came to acquiring PPEs.Read More
The grade 8 Parktown Boys’ High pupil drowned when his makeshift raft capsized in the Crocodile River in Brits.Read More
Former Eskom CEO is giving testimony at the Zondo Commission of Inquiry into State Capture.Read More
Earlier this week, a woman took to Twitter, accusing DJ Fresh and Euphonik of drugging and raping her in 2011.Read More
President Cyril Ramaphosa said that the country would get 20 million vaccines from a variety of suppliers including Pfizer, AstraZeneca as well as Johnson & Johnson.Read More
Deputy Minister of Basic Education Reginah Mhaule says Council of Education Minister and Cabinet has taken this decision.Read More
Divisional Manager at the Commission Khanyisa Qobo says schools should create a procurement regime that is considerate of costs.Read More
The Department of Education also says 712 more people have died in South Africa after contracting COVID-19.Read More
A new scam is surfacing on Facebook and WhatsApp groups. The masterminds are even using the FSP number of a legitimate company.Read More