Zandile Gumede & co-accused face 2,786 counts as case moves to High Court
DURBAN - The fraud, corruption and racketeering case against former eThekwini Mayor Zandile Gumede and 21 co-accused has been transferred to the Durban High Court.
Pre-trial proceedings have been set down for 14 June.
The accused - who include private entities and municipal officials - allegedly colluded in a waste collection tender amounting to over R430 million.
In December last year, the Durban Commercial Crimes Court postponed the case against Gumede and the others after the State requested more time to process a forensic audit report.
Gumede is facing a total of 2,786 counts along with her co-accused.
This has been revealed in a 324-page indictment submitted to the Durban Commercial Crimes Court on Tuesday.
The National Prosecuting Authority's Natasha Kara said: “Their bails have been extended and the matter was remanded to 14 June 2021.”
Kara said the defence had also been supplied with a forensic audit report and dockets implicating the accused following a previous court order.
In 324 page indictment, the State says Zandile Gumede and her 21 co-accused face 2786 charges linked to tender fraud. Her supporters are unmoved and have gathered in large numbers to show their support. @NkoRaphael pic.twitter.com/cmBi9z00bG— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) March 23, 2021
This article first appeared on EWN : Zandile Gumede & co-accused face 2,786 counts as case moves to High Court
Julius Malema slammed President Cyril Ramaphosa and the slow pace of the rollout, calling for government to incorporate the Russian Sputnik and Chinese Sinovac vaccines along with the Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines already being administered in South Africa.Read More
Employees at ANC headquarters, Luthuli House, as well as in provincial and regional offices have planned lunchtime pickets after months of salaries paid late. They have not even received payment for work done in May.Read More